Updated on Feb. 20, 2020
We are pleased to hold our 4th Annual Seismic Resistance Structure Contest (SRSC), as part of the National Engineering Month (NEM) Event in 2020.
This contest is for Grade 7 and 8 students from Scarborough Schools who will build building structures with wood sticks (do not use bamboo sticks) prior to the event (at home/school). The structures are evaluated by judges and are tested b shake table at the day of the event.
Follow PEO Scarborough on twitter: @PEOScarborough.
* Registration Link: Follow the Link. Register with Eventbrite, search for BBC and follow the instruction.
* Deadline for registration: February 26, 2020
* Date of competition: February 29, 2020
* Venue: Scarborough Civic Centre, 150 Borough Drive, Scarborough
* Registration Fee: $12/ Team (a team can consist of 2 or 3 persons)
* Please email your concerns or questions to our event coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
Eligibility, and Prizes
1.Each team must have at east 2 students or up to a maximum of 3 students. To encourage teamwork, one student teams are not permitted.
2. Each participating team member must be a full time student attending a school located only in the Scarborough area.
3. Prizes, in total value over $500, in 2 categories.
4. Structural Performance Score and Judges' Score will be evaluated independently.
5. The prizes for first, second, and third place will be awarded to each category (Building Performance, Judges' Score). Prize values given below are per student of the winning team:
6. All participants will be given a certificate of participation.
1. Registration will be on a first come first served basis through Eventbrite link. Register with Eventbrite, search for BBC and follow the instruction.
2. The registration fee is $12.00 per team. Fee shall be paid online through registration link (Eventbrite) or by cheque payable to Professional Engineers Ontario. Cash payment option will not be available.
3. Student’s teacher or parent/guardian must provide the address of the school of each student or residency address which is within Scarborough area (Proof of residency shall be provided on the event day).
4. If you have any difficulty in filling the form, please contact the coordinator at: email@example.com prior to filling the on-line form.
5. There is no limit on number of teams from each school, however, each teacher can complete up to 10 teams.
6. Download Parental Consent Form and bring it on the day of event.
7. On date of event please bring the completed and signed Parental Consent form to the Scarborough Civic Centre.
8. School teacher shall register the students in his/her class. If a school does not participate, parents or guardians of interested (eligible) students may register directly.
1. This contest will be conducted in English only.
2. A panel of adjudicators will resolve all disputes. Their decisions are final and binding.
3. Teachers, parents, guardians and their guests are welcome to attend the event and cheer the participants. The competition will be held in the Council Chambers. The guests will be able to witness the whole event and see the students in action.
4. Teachers, parents, guardians and their guests are required not to assist or interfere with the contestants.
5. Space is limited for the audience up to 350. Entry is on a first come first served basis.
6. Food and drinks are not permitted inside the auditorium.
7. A student without proper registration will not be permitted to participate in the competition.
8. Building specification and Rules must be followed in making the building.
9. Bring some spare sticks, white glue, and construction paper for any last minute modifications, repairs to the building of used glue to assist in judging process
10. Every effort must be taken to keep the premises and the surrounding environment litter free. All broken pieces must be stored in garbage bins.
Please visit Rules page for rules and guidelines for the competition.
| HOME |